13-Year-Old CEO Gives Away Brand New Books in the Name of Literacy

Adele Taylor, an eighth grade student at Williamstown Middle School who loves to write poetry, dance, rock climb and you guessed it... READ, has taken her passion and created a non-profit organization that would make you wonder... should I be doing more?

Adele's Literacy Library was founded on the simple idea... read and be empowered. From the creative bookmarks to the catchy phrases on her website, Adele is on her way to empowering the world with readers one book at a time. "If I can't read than I dance!" beamed Taylor. Adele has been dancing since she was three years of age and currently attends Dance by Debra DiNote. Adele dances over eight hours a week and currently is studying tap, Pointe, modern, lyrical, ballet, jazz and musical theatre.

Attending Williamstown High School next year as a freshmen, Adele also holds the title Miss Heartland's Outstanding Teen 2009 for the State of New Jersey. This title allowed Adele to compete for Miss America's Outstanding Teen for the State of New Jersey. "Being a part of the Miss America organization has always been a dream of mine. As a local title holder, having a crown allows me to promote literacy to all ages on a much broader scale. I love being involved in my community and I want people to know that knowledge is power and through reading you gain that knowledge," stated Taylor.

Founded by Adele in December 2008, Adele's Literacy Library has already successfully given away hundreds of brand new books and bookmarks to schools, libraries and various organizations. Her goal is to give away millions of books to youth, elderly and disadvantaged regardless of where they live. Adele also wants to offer scholarships to high school graduates who want to pursue their educational dreams. Taylor currently hosts "Storytelling with Adele" where she attends schools and reads to classrooms. She is also in the progress of finalizing the details of a fundraiser with her school to promote literacy. Her plan is to offer this program to schools nationwide.

While visiting the Ronald McDonald House of Southern New Jersey where her company donated over fifty brand new books and twenty-five bookmarks, she was given a tour of the facility. "Going to the Ronald McDonald House was such a humble experience", said Taylor, "When I first arrived, it was very difficult to see kids of all ages physically challenged with many medical obstacles. It was amazing to see the Ronald McDonald House's staff and its volunteers truly make the Ronald house a home."

"I will be attending the Book Expo of America in a couple of months. It's my first trade show where I am representing my company!" exclaimed Adele. "This four day event is filled with opportunities for my business to flourish. I am so excited about this event and hope to make some long term business relationships. I 'm also hoping that my favorite authors are there too!"

Taylor is no stranger to the world of teen entrepreneurship. She has two friends that have their own business where Taylor was the Director of Operations for one of them. "Helping my friends with their business is one of those lessons that you will never forget and always cherish!" I hope that I can take what I have learned from them and apply it to my business and be just as successful," smiled Taylor.

Adele's Literacy Library supports itself by hosting book drives, fundraisers, and receiving donations. Website: http://adelesliteracylibrary.org/

0 comments: